The moment of planting your purchased tulip bulbs is very important. You may have already bought or received the bulbs before you can plant them. Then follow the instructions below:
It is important that you keep the bulbs in a cool (12-17°C), dry and dark place.
It is also important that the area is well ventilated, so it is not recommended to keep the bulbs in a refrigerator or an airtight plastic bag.
It is best to plant tulip bulbs between September and December, follow the steps below:
- Tulips bloom the best in full sun of light shade, so choose the right place in your garden or at your balcony.
- Dig a trench or hole 10-15 centimeters deep for each tulip bulb.
- Keep about 12 to 15 centimeters between the tulip bulbs. We recommend (roughly speaking) a planting distance of three times the width of the bulb, but it can be different per species. If you search the webshop for your purchased variety, you can find per variety which planting depth and planting distance you can best apply.
- You can plant tulip bulbs with the pointed side up.
- Then shovel the soil back into the holes or channels. Once the bulbs are planted, it is important to water thoroughly until the soil is well moist.
- The tulips grow best in loose soil. The soil should not be too wet, because the bulb cannot develop properly.
- After flowering, the bulbs of hatched bulbs and weak old bulbs can be removed.
- You can plant the other (good) bulbs again in September and December.